Thursday, May 8, 2008

URBAN Legends

Cryptozoology is always something that's interested me. And recently stemming from a small character/icon design project I did involving the mounted heads of common North American urban legend monster, I decided to go further and build a story around the idea.

Thus I came up with URBAN Legends; basically what would these rare and mythical monster do if they moved to a large city (New York?) and had to get day jobs to survive? I've come up with at least 8 solid character designs, and a few "environment" or shoppe designs for this concept so far, but I may do more:

Character lineup of a few monsters: Mothman (pawn shoppe owner), El Chupacabra (Mexican gangster), Jersey Devil (annoying white-boy from Jersey), & ThunderBird (weatherman)

Bigfoot

Ogopogo and The Loch Ness Monster

The Abominable Snow...woman.

While I'd like to do animations for this (maybe in the future with practice & time), I'm looking to use these ideas and more for a series of short comics featuring each monster. The Jersey Devil seems to be the main character in my books right now, so all stories will probably tied together by him, but I'll keep it under wraps as to how for now.

In the mean time I highly suggest hitting wikipedia for more info on Cryptozoology and mythical monsters, or your local library. Seriously good & fun reading!

6 comments:

laura! said...

I love these. So much.
We must do a print exchange sometime!

Edward Kwong said...

fuckin eh! awesome.

keni said...

i looove you works :3

BryndĂ­s said...

This is beautiful work.

Suze said...

Amazing stuff! Like your style.

Nadia Sam Cyrus said...

Thanks for the story of Cryptozoology. It's interesting to know.
Funky Chairs